Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 11 months ago

A reminder:  the folks at NJ Endangered Species are requesting hikers DO NOT enter ANY mines or caves.  This is to prevent the further spread of the white-nose syndrome fungus that is killing NJ bats.  This will apply in NY also.    The caves in Hibernia are closed, Roomy Mine is closed.

These closings are until further notice.      Thanks for cooperating and caring about the bats.

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 11 months ago

While camping is legal on the entire DEC parcel, as a practical matter, much of the parcel has rather steep terrain, and there are few good places to camp.  Several years ago, I camped with a friend on the very narrow sliver of the DEC land between the stream and the DEC land boundary at the extreme eastern end of the parcel.  Here, the land is flat, and there is a very nice place to camp.

Also, when we were there a few years ago, signs indicated that overnight parking was not permitted at the Berme Road Park.  We did park there overnight and did not get a ticket, but I wouldn't want to do this again without checking first with the local authorities.

I don't know of anybody who camped at the DEC parcel you are referring to, but camping is allowed on all DEC land, as long as you stay away 150 ft from roads, springs, streams, etc. Minnewaska and Sams Point are not DEC lands, but most of the ridge south of Rte 52 is DEC land. You need officially a permit to hike south of Smiley CW and west of High Point CW, I believe. Have fun, Jakob

Hoping to get out to the Gunks this weekend and I've been enjoying perusing the new 2008 mapset. Map 104 is particularly exciting, lots of new land acquisitions & great to see the Long Path restored at Verkeeder Kills Falls and the new proposed routes.

The back of the map mentions that camping is now allowed in the DEC parcel north of Minnewaska's High Point -- has anyone here done this? I'm hoping to park at Berme Road Park in Ellenville and hike in on the Smiley Carriageway, and do day hikes from there. There aren't any "Keep Out"s on the map, but does anyone know any other compications? Thanks in advance, jmb

Jakob Franke just stepped out of the woods about twenty minutes ago. He has installed new trail markers on the trail as the old ones got melted by the fire. Jakob reports the trail is very passable and easy to follow.
    Thanks for your comments, I have sent this on to the Trail Supervisor for Wawayanda.   And thanks for re-flagging!
    On Saturday April 25 Malcolm Spector and Toby Golick re-flagged the newly constructed section of trail that takes the trail off the gas pipeline. The trail has been open for almost a year and is now on the TC maps, but has not yet been blazed. I know that the park has taken to printing up custom blazes to use and I wonder if the delay is in waiting for these blazes. The rest of the trail badly needs reblazing as well.
    If you find the main deep pit, continue up the hill along the ridge and you will find more. Continuing further you will find some old white blazes and eventually reach the unmarked woods road that runs past the Hamilton mine (on the map) and reaches the blue 3-Lakes Trail.
    The mine, which is actually in the town of Putnam Valley, is officially closed with signs posted to keep out. The opening to the mine is easily found but the unmaintained trail used to access the mine from Sunk Mine Road is now closed for wildlife rehabilitation(bobcat dens are nearby I believe). As far as I know, there is only one opening and can be easily located using trail conference map 103 East Hudson Trails. If you need further information, feel free to email me at [email protected].
    Normally when hiking I don't need a guide but was looking to explore the old Sunk Mine in Cold Spring, since it's pretty extensive i'd like to make it home for dinner and was wondering if there was anyone who knew of someone who knows the location to the entrances and would not mind going in for a 3 hour tour? Thanks! Hikinglou