- The primary access to trails is from Clinton Road, which extends north from NJ 23 near Newfoundland. The watershed has assigned numbers to the trailhead parking areas, from P1 to P8 [not all of which are on Clinton Road]. Area P1 is located at the intersection of Clinton Road and Van Orden Road, 1.7 miles north of NJ 23. GPS Coordinates: 41.075101, -74.445560
- Parking area P7 (free to park, but permit required to hike in the watershed) is on the east side of Clinton Road, 7.5 miles north of NJ 23 and 1.7 miles south of Warwick Turnpike. Approximate GPS Coordinates: 41.145020, -74.405703
- Echo Lake Office: 223 Echo Lake Rd, Newfoundland, NJ 07435. GPS Coordinates: 41.047371, -74.410403
- See Web Map link to locate parking areas P5, P7, P8
- NJ Transit Bus #194 & 195, which run along NJ 23.
NJ Transit Bus #194 & 195, which run along NJ 23.
The clear lakes, streams and ponds, the mountains with their dramatic rock outcroppings, the forests all combine to make the Pequannock Watershed one of the most scenic areas in New Jersey. FEE and PERMIT REQUIRED
In addition to the Trail Conference's Jersey Highlands Trail Map, the North Jersey Trails Map #116 covers the northern portion of the watershed. Use the Web Map link on this site to view trails (and parking locations) in a north-eastern segment of the watershed.
Nine trails range from 0.7 to 4.6 miles. The Bearfort Waters/Clinton Trail (4.6 miles; yellow) is a major north-south trail that connects the main section of Wawayanda State Park with the Pequannock Watershed (see "Comment" posted below on June 23, 2010 for update). It runs parallel to and west of Clinton Road. The Echo Lake East Trail (2.1 miles; white) off Echo Lake Road follows a relatively level route along the east shore of Echo Lake. Several trails lead to a fire tower northeast of Clinton Reservoir.
Advisory: Parking/hiking in the Newark-owned watershed is by permit only and requires payment of a fee. It can be obtained in person (on weekdays) from its Echo Lake Office, on Echo Lake Rd, West Milford, or by mail at PO Box 319 Newfoundland NJ 07435 (phone 973-697-1724). Alternatively, permits are issued at 920 Broad St, Room 211, Newark, N.J. 07102 (phone 973-733-8008). Note: The Newark Watershed Conservation and Development Corporation which previously issued permits on behalf of the City was dissolved in July 2013.
- Permits are required for all parking areas identified P1 to P9, except for P7 (which is on NJDEP land).
The City of Newark's Pequannock Watershed property adjoins the southern boundary of Wawayanda State park. The area encompasses 35,000 acres and includes five major reservoirs totaling almost 2,000 acres. The clear lakes, streams and ponds, the mountains with their dramatic rock outcroppings, the forests, and the varied vegetation of the watershed all combine to make it one of the most scenic areas in New Jersey.