Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 10 months ago
    I'm planning to backpack from Wawayanda to High Point this weekend. With all the recent rainfall and the forecast of more into the weekend, I'm concerned about the puncheon sections being passable. Any current information on this area?
    Hi Folks, thanks for your comments.    The area Trail Supervisor will be notified and hopefully this will get corrected very soon...  at least when this rain stops!
    I was just about to email the NYNJTC about the blue discs gone missing. Last weekend I was on this trail for the first time and did indeed get lost. (and we did had a map) It took us off trail for a good 20 minutes until we retraced my steps and discovered the discs on the ground near a tree. Soon after all was well and we enjoyed lunch at Almost Perpendicular. Can someone re-mark this trail? First time Harriman hikers could get really lost. Thank you!
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 11 months ago
    All this talk about beaver flooding in NY and NJ reminds me of the beginning of Krakauer's book Into the Wild. He describes the Alaskans who found the young man's body as carrying dynamite on their ATVs wherever they go because beaver flooding on backroads/trails is so common in Alaska. When they come to an impassable flooded stretch of road/trail, they find the beaver dam, blow it up, wait for the water to drain off the road/trail, and go on their merry way!
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 11 months ago
    Our dog, a 70 pound shepherd, stays in our tent with us. He likes it there and we can take care of him more easily when we're all together.
    Yes, it is confusing, and beaver activity is the reasoning for the flooding. I will let the volunteer maintainer and Trail Supervisor for the area know about your experience. They are aware of the problem, and have tried some remediation in the past (relocate the trail) but the beavers work faster. Thank you for the report.
    While hiking in fahnestock state park on the Yellow Trail parallel south to the 301 going north toward Hidden Lake the trail is supposed to boarder the lake to the south and connect with the blue trail. The lake here has flooded the trail and has made it very difficult to cross. We backtracked south on the yellow trail to meet a red trail going south which also connects to the blue trail we were trying to get to. I know its confusing.....
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 11 months ago
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 11 months ago
    Traptents are particularly well suited to backpacking and fill the gap between tarps and the heavier alternatives. There are those that like hammocks as well for backpacking. You may also want to consider a tarp like the Mountain Laurel - TrailStar Shelter - 15 oz, large 2 person, 4 season tarp shelter. Add an inner bug tent/footprint combination and you have about the most flexible all season shelter out there. The thing that makes this design particularly inviting is that there are no parts to wear out, can be pitched with very high or very low ventilation, really stands up to weather and can be pitched in a variety of ways, many not mentioned on the web site. stevie
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 11 months ago
    "The Gunks" are also a great area to hike for those that hate dealing with a car. There are several nearby towns with bus and train service. From what I've seen, "The Gunks" are less crowded than Herriman/Bear Mountain and only approx 45 minutes further away from the city. stevie