Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   15 years 3 weeks ago
    There are a few busses that run up to Catskills. There will be a road walk/cab ride to trail heads, but that's always an option. I have not had the opportunity to head up there yet, so I don't have much info to provide other than what's on the TC website.

As far as Harriman goes, the last time I was at there, no one was around to share the shelter or surrounding area with me.

There are plenty of shelters in Harriman where most people do not go because they are too far away from trailheads.

You mentioned fishing. I'd strongly suggest getting a fishing license for NY. I don't remember what they are this year, but it's cheaper than having DEC or a ranger come up on you and write you a ticket. While I've never seen a ranger in the backcountry in Harriman, I wouldn't take the risk.

Good luck and enjoy your hike!
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   15 years 3 weeks ago

Looks like there was a brush fire on the 9th. Just over 100 acres burned.

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   15 years 3 weeks ago

Can anyone recommend a good 2 day backpacking trip accessible by bus/train from nyc? Anywhere from 2-8miles per day and either a loop where you can camp anywhere or some place to hike to water, lake/river/waterhole/waterfall, set up camp and hike back after the second night. If fishing is a possibility that would be an extra plus. More secluded than populated is also ideal. Of course ill take any recommendations but if the above helps formulate your response all the better.

@Dan, let me know what you end up doing and if you find a great spot, especially if lakes, big rivers, or camping at summits w/ views are involved.

@Adam, any chance you could post a review of your trip, im super interested??

@NYCHiker, thanks for wonderful tip on your fav spot. Ill definitely look into Harriman, although the camp only at shelter is kind of a damper. Part of the reason to get out of the city is to get away from people. Although hikers are usually the friendliest around :)

Thanks in advance everyone for your suggestions!

Levi
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   15 years 3 weeks ago
    This has been changed. Thank you.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   15 years 4 weeks ago
    The story reported on this site about the trail running races to be held on May 9, 2009 should be modified to say that the race courses involve Bear Mt and Harriman State Parks and that there will be runners on the course from 5am until 6pm. http://www2.thenorthface.com/endurancechallenge/races/2008/bmn_registrat...
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   15 years 4 weeks ago

Hi Everyone,

Me and 3 friends are looking to do our first overnight in the Catskills at the end of the month. We are looking for any suggestions as to which area is best for doing a short hike in (2-4 miles), setup camp for the night and then head out the next day. I know there are a million areas to do this but figured one of you might have a couple of good, secluded spots that you'd be willing to share.

One thought I had was starting at the western end of Devil's Path and then heading up to North Dome and camping somewhere in between North Dome and Sherrill (below 3500 ft). It looks secluded and the bushwacking seems like a good trade off with the relatively short distance.

Thanks,

Dan

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   15 years 1 month ago
    Hey, These were all great recommendations. We've decided to do the AT Hike from Bear Mtn (we will metro north it up there) and hike to route 17 with an overnight on the trail. And a bus back... Thanks so much for all your help! Adam
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   15 years 1 month ago
    I just did this hike today with 2 of my friends. And we were wondering why the markers along the Bearfort Waters Trail were in the water!!! Crossing the Reservoir was also quite treacherous. We just thought this was because of the winter thaw. I was going to send a message to NY/NJ Trail Conf. reporting this but I guess they are well aware of it. Wish I looked here BEFORE we left for our hike. Thanks for posting!

A word of caution for those hiking Pequannock Watershed and parking along Clinton Road, or at any of the parking areas for the Watershed.  Two kayakers returned to their car to find the passenger window smashed, and a wallet and cell phone stolen.    Please take all your valuables with you, please lock your car.    This is a fairly remote area with very minimal police patrol and delayed police response. 

Poets Walk Walked: Parking Area to “Summer House” and back Date Hiked: March 20, 2009, Evening Conditions: The trails and carriageways are in good shape – Some areas of mud. Special Required Equipment: Camera, water, map. Comments: The official name of this site is Poets' Walk Romantic Landscape Park. As you might guess from the name, this property was landscaped to show off its Hudson Valley views. It's an ideal spot for a sunset stroll for individuals who just got out of work. Great and interesting views of the Hudson River. Rhine cliff bridge and the Catskills. Went out for dinner in Kinston, NY after the walk.